Access Counter

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Okinawan instrument - Sanshin

Do you know what this is?

It must be familiar to people who play Sanshin.
This is a musical note of Sanshin, written in kanji (Chinese character).

Sanshin is very popular and traditional musical instrument in Okinawa and I think everybody in Okinawa has experience to see, hear or play it.  And you can’t sing Okinawan folk songs without it.



When I was an elementary school student, there is a Sanshin club in my school.  which you can learn how to play Sanshin.  I like music, so I belonged to the club.
After class, I enjoy playing Sanshin with my teacher and friends.  It was fun!
For the club, my grandfather gave me the Sanshin that he’s been used for a long time.
It is old and it has a body covered with real snake skin.  When I saw it first, I remember that I was surprised.  It was little scared.


If you are interested in playing it, you can try it easily in Okinawa.  Some tourist facilities offer the classes that you can experience to playing it.

I think it is easy to play Sanshin, because it has only 3 strings!!!  Not like the guitar!  For beginners, remembering the finger positions, it is very helpful to put the stickers on the neck of Sanshin.  The stickers allow you to find the correct finger positions at a glance.  I always use them to play Sanshin.


It will be good experience and memory playing Sanshin in Okinawa.
Why don’t you play it when you visit Okinawa?

Takako 

my Sanshin

Sanshin plectrums -
put it on your index finger to play



No comments:

Post a Comment