Access Counter

Thursday, December 15, 2011

International City Koza II: Maui Diner

The day was like a country music - a cold, rainy day, I made some mistakes at work, couldn't find my favorite lunch packet in the store, and the orange I ate was horrible.  I was feeling dull from the morning and longing for a warm, comfy bed.  As soon as I finished my work, I called my husband because I wanted him to buy some ready-made food for dinner on his way back home.  He said, "Let's meet in Koza because there is a place I want to take you for dinner."  Surprisingly,  I said OK instantly, instead of saying, "no... I am tired.  Let's just go home and eat" as I normally do.  Then while I was driving to the meeting place, I was thinking, "aaaaggggghhhhh!  what was I thinking, going out in a day like this!  (banging my head against the window)"  It was pouring and getting colder. 

At the meeting place, he parked his car and drove my car to release me from driving.  He parked at the Central Park Avenue, and led me to Parmila Street.  The street was decorated with blue shiny illumination.  It looked so beautiful in the rain.  I suddenly felt like being on a date. ;-)


 (Parmila Street, Okinawa City)


We strolled down the Parmila Street, past 1st Street.  And suddenly, I saw a sign outside of the diner: Maui Diner (マウイ食堂)



The inside of the diner was very simple but full of warm family atmosphere that made me instantly comfortable.  My husband told me that his student's parents (pharmacists and certified cooks) run this diner and the Chinese herbal medicine pharmacy right in front of the diner.     

(inside the pharmacy)

The concept of their menu “Food for my family,” explains their style: only use safe and tasty natural ingredient, no chemical or artificial additives. They use extra virgin olive oil, and Koshihikari brand rice. 

I had Tomato Soup set: a big bowl of tomato soup, rice, small green salad, a glass of rooibos tea
[ingredients] carrots, onions, chicken thigh, eryngii mushroom, Italian whole tomato can
This tomato soup is not like a normal tomato soup.  You can taste each ingredient separately, which makes great harmony in the bowl.  My 2 years old daughter really loved this soup.  

Check out their menu from here → Maui Diner Menu

【Maui Diner business hour】
Monday - Saturday (11:30a.m.-)
Last order: 19:00
Closed on Sundays


大きな地図で見る

 
The owners have two children: the boy is a junior high school student and the girl is an elementary school student.  Surprisingly, the boy speaks very good English, more fluent then many of the Japanese adults I know!  I asked the boy where he learned English.  He said, “from my father.”  His father is Japanese, but studies English together with the children. The boy has no problem communicating with my husband who is an English native speaker.  The girl was shy to speak English, but the father said that she speaks really well, too. 

If you are wandering Koza and feeling hungry for healthy food which you can order in English, Maui Diner is the place to go.  They have Wi-fi, too!



No comments:

Post a Comment